Time & day (Spring 2021): Weekly drop-in, Thursdays 2-3pm. Please join at the top of the hour. You may choose to stay for the whole hour, or leave whenever it suits your goals and schedule.
Facilitator: Devin Wixon or Jess Maher (varies)
As a TA, you have a crucial role in your students' learning, and may face challenges to using your time to efficiently to support all your students- especially when remote teaching. This weekly time is an opportunity to get ideas from Delta staff and share concerns and solutions for a more successful semester. Common challenges might include:
- Feeling overwhelmed by the volume of student emails, and wondering how to share information just once instead of getting the same question over and over?
- Are your students engaged, or do you have a few students always do all the talking?
- Are you spending lots of time giving feedback, and concerned your students aren't actually using it?
- Are you wondering how to approach and support the students who aren't succeeding?
- Have you discovered a tip or trick that is working well for your students?
Feel free to join this 'just in time' hour even if you don't have questions. No preparation required. The focus is helping you prevent and resolve challenges and share successes. The format of this is fluid and will be driven by participants and goals. We may chat as a group, take turns addressing specific questions and tips/tricks, or use breakouts for small group work. We may also have a 'tip of the week' if participants choose.
Remote teaching involves integrating technical, pedagogical, and content skills. For questions that are primary about technical support (e.g. in Canvas, Zoom, BBC-U), or 'how-to', please contact DoIT. Also please note you can find instructional continuity's self-guided resources and recorded webinars for remote teaching here, and L&S fantastic remote toolkit guides are here.