This event will be held remotely. Registrants will be provided with a link to join.
Get concrete ideas and plan how you'll run your office hours — either remotely or onsite — to ensure your students get their needs met, and take advantage of collaborative opportunities while managing technical challenges. Office hours are a chance to build relationships and support student success, as well as answer specific questions. We'll explore the challenges and opportunities so that participants will have an informed approach to decide:
- Barriers to your students attending office hours, and how to address them
- Draft your text for your syllabus (and emails, and Canvas) inviting and encouraging students to join
- Consider various methods for structuring office hours to get students learning collaboratively, and juggle multiple questions at the same time
Please note: As it is expected that participants will be using many different platforms and approaches to their office hours, this is not a tech support 'how to'. Facilitators will offer an optional tech how-to sandbox from 11:30am – 12:00pm. This might let you be the host, and/or get tech 'how to' guidance on ideas you may have taken away (e.g. Zoom polls or breakout rooms, Piazza best practices).
We'll also touch and provide further resources on:
- Making them successful
- What are a few first questions you might ask to build relationships and support student success
- How you will evaluate if they were effective
- Considering asynchronous office hours (e.g. through Piazza, Canvas discussions, Google docs, Padlet or other Q&A means)
- Distributing and preserving the Q&A and information shared from office hours for all students to use
- How you'll establish your availability (scheduling)